Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Day Off


So we needed a day off today. We just felt the need to escape the stuff we (my twin daughters and myself) do everyday - run, check e-mail, grocery shop, color, eat lunch, nap, do laundry, etc. So, we went to Lawrence, Kansas, home of Kansas University and the 2008 National Champion Kansas Jayhawks. Secretly, well not so secretly anymore, I have always wanted to call Lawrence home - and today was picture perfect. It was a perfect 65 degrees under a cloudless blue sky and we spent four hours strolling the downtown area and hanging out at the park.

Lawrence has some truly unique locally owned shops and when I get a chance I love to see what other retail owners are doing. We stopped at Sunflower Outdoor and Bike Shop - I am in the market for a road bike as I would like to try my hand at a Half-Ironman next summer. We looked around and left with a great t-shirt for Davis, some new water bottles for Eden and Clara (now maybe they will leave mine alone) and these way cool sunglasses for kids - Julbo! Love them - and my girls look so cute!

After that we went in search of our Halloween costumes - my daughters want to be Kansas Jayhawk cheerleaders for Halloween. We found some really cute outfits at The Jock's Nitch (funny name - great store) along with Jayhawk hair bows and a quarterback jersey for Davis. After that, we stopped at The Blue Dandelion a great children's clothing store and picked up some of the Tea Collection - Daily Tea line. If you have kids and they have not worn this line - they should. It fits great, washes well and is so darn cute!

Of course, the trip would not have been complete without some homemade lemonade and gummi alphabet letters from Pennie Annie, a trip to The Toy Store (I think we overstayed our welcome), some lunch and an hour at the park.

We had a blast, Eden and Clara napped on the drive home, and we picked up Davis right on time - feeling a little less stressed than when we dropped him off. I highly recommend some good quality time away from the routine - if you can get it. Oh, one more thing - I noticed, or should I say, I failed to notice. Where is the paper shop? If you read this and are interested - give us a call!

No comments: